Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gray chapter 3

Gray

Chapter 3


The world went blank as the ship shuddered and rumbled. After a few moments, I could make out the flashing buttons on the ship's dashboard. The ship violently jerked, and a big red light flashed angrily. There was a few more second of confused twisting and turning, and then we landed.

It was rather bumpy, but when the ship finally slowed to a stop, everything snapped into focus. The windows of the ship were tinted, so I had no Idea where we were. Gray unstrapped himself and walked into the back of the ship. I had just unstrapped myself when he came back with the last thing I had expected.

A gun.

He threw it at me and I barely had enough time for reflex. But I caught the slim piece of shined steel. He was packing a lot of firepower, throwing on a backpack chock-full of weapons and other devices. He yelled from the back, “No time to explain why we're here, just follow me!”

I looked up questioningly, but I was silenced by a swift look of determination from Gray. He gave me a similar backpack and I put it on. Thankfully it wasn't too heavy. He motioned toward the door. I pulled out a curious looking SMG and nodded. He smiled mischievously and barked, “Hold on!”

He pushed open the door and we entered a living hell.

There was fire everywhere. Burnt structures, dead bodies of creatures ranging in size from as small as gray to ten foot tall behemoths. The sky was a dull red, the horizon no more then a skyline full of smoke. Gunfire could be heard in the distance.

Gray motioned forward and we darted out of the ship, it imploding on itself as the creation disappeared back into the cube. We hid behind some rocks and he gave me an extremely brief explanation. “Follow me. Shoot anything that moves until we reach the bunker. Got it?” I nodded solemnly. He looked to the left of the boulder and said “Alright. On my mark.”

I gripped my gun in fear, which had interestingly turned white. Sweat was coursing down my face and back.

Damn, it was hot here.


Gray took one more glance before holding up three small fingers.


Two fingers now. My heart was racing.


One finger...


He pumped his fist.

We ran. As fast as we could. As if nothing else mattered to us but making it to wherever we were going. I heard a slight buzzing behind us, and it slowly began to catch up. I looked up and saw a rock in the haze. I darted behind it, the dust grinding under my feet as I slide to a stop, facing behind us. I have a split second of seeing the monsters that were chasing us. Evil, foul smelling creatures with four eyes on a small head.

They were disgusting, to say the least. But I didn't take the time to think all of this through as I open fire.

The creatures are blown back as a withering hail of white laser bullets bursts through them. I shoot just for a split second before completing the turn I had taken to get behind the rock and continued to stumble behind Gray, who was clearing the path ahead. He had two pistols, and they were streamlined for running, it seemed. But every gray shot he fired struck the black fleshy substance that covered the creatures. It was almost uncanny.

But there was no time for thinking. Just running. We sprinted a few more yards before a small hill came into view. There were lime green shots coming out from the hill ahead. We sprinted faster, pouring the last of our strength into our tired limbs. As soon as we reached the hill, a section of the ground lifted up and I dashed inside.

Gray was right beside me until that moment. He spun around in the doorway as it closed, the swarm of monsters yards away, pulled out a rocket launcher and fired it. All in one movement. Then the door clicked shut as the resulting explosion shook the cabin. He looked out of one of the windows to see some satisfactory monster parts land on the ground.


But it's not over yet.


Gray turns and gives a quick hug to a similar creature that is lime green. I immediately realized that this was Gray's waiting companion. She smiled at me in greeting. Then she pulled out her rather big MG for her size. Planting herself by one of the open windows, she opened fire, Lime bullets spraying the approaching monsters. The next hour was a blur. I sat by the window, a MG in one hand and a mounted rocket launcher in the other, firing the MG into the monsters while blowing up clusters of them.

When an hour had passed, the haze cleared. The monsters had stopped. Grey wiped the sweat off his forehead and put his gun down. I put my MG down on the table in the center of the bunker. Lime hugged Gray suddenly, and he hugged her back. I could see crystalline teardrops tracing a line down her small face.

Then I realized how hard this must be on her, and my sympathy went out to her. I wanted to go and hug her too, but I thought that Gray should be the one to do that. As I turned around, I felt small hands wrap around my waist. Small lime green hands. I turned and knelt as I hugged her back, tears starting to force their way out from behind my scrunched eyelids.

War was nothing to be trifled with. And it certainly had an effect on you the first time you partake of it. Gray motioned for the both of us to sit down and said, “I think this deserves an explanation. Firstly, I'm sorry that I had no time to explain this earlier. And to put this all in a nutshell, Lime sent an intercept message to me. I had immediately changed our ship's course to here, which was the cause of the flashing lights that you saw.”

He sat down and wiped his brow again, continuing, “I'm very happy that you didn't ask questions and did the best you could to help. Lime was having an excruciatingly hard time defending the bunker, which is also where The Beam is stored. It's being powered up right now, and hopefully that will be the last wave of stalkers so that we can get out of here.”

I shudder at the memory of the endless faces I had ripped apart, and how each face had no expression, mindlessly killing everything in it's path. Gray coughed, then quietly said, “Look Drew, I'm sorry I had to put you through all this. I didn't choose it, but I'm glad that you were strong and made it through.

I nodded, choked up. Lime hugged me again, and whispered in my ear. “it's alright, you're still alive, and we are all going to get out of here alive.” I nod.

There is a beep from the back room.

And an Intensely bright light emanated from the room. Gray yelled, “GO! Back to the ship! The Beam is ready!”

We ran outside, and I wished then that I had eaten a horseshoe for breakfast.


A Dark wave crashed over the horizon and headed straight toward us, the bright green eyes of the stalkers gleaming in glee of their next kill.


COMBO WOMBO DIVIDER!!!!

Magic Bananas INC. XD

1 comment:

  1. thrilling, exhilarating, can't wait until the next chapter!!

    ReplyDelete