Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grey Chapter 1


Grey


Chapter 1


Very, Very wrong.


As I finished my minecraft session for the night, I quickly typed in a save command and shut down my server. I rolled my chair back and belted out a large yawn. But as I went to go and shut down my computer, a Google message pops up. And It's from someone I don't know. Red flags go up in my head, but I dismiss them and see what the message says. It's from someone named Grey, and the message simply read this,

“10/7/11 6:00 A.M.”

I have no idea what it was for, but I jotted down a note of the time. My calendar reads that tomorrow was the seventh, so I set my alarm clock for 6 in the morning. The clock read 11:30 as I plopped into bed, my computers shut down and my radio playing softly. As I lay there in the dark of my room, I chuckled to myself. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, it turns out everything can go very, very, wrong. But also very right.

The next morning. 5:58 A.M.

I whack my alarm clock as it buzzes profusely into my ears. It shuts off and the room is silent for a few moments. Then I jolt awake as I realize what time it is. My clothes all seem to elude me as I frantically search for them. The door doesn't cooperate and protests rather loudly as I rush outside.

It's a few seconds before six, and I shiver in the cold morning air as I wait. Now, according to most movies, the person would wait for a few minutes after an appointed time before something happens.

As soon as my watch beeped six, a explosion of light ripped through the sky. But yet, it was still as quiet and as peaceful as it had been. This left me very confused. But there was no time for that. The light congealed into a single spot and disappeared for a split second before it bolted down into the woods somewhere.

The beam of light widened into a circle and started swirling extremely fast. I jumped down my porch and ran as fast as I could. If you looked really closely at the vortex, you could make out a small form being dropped down through the center. As I reached the bottom, the form landed softly on the dirt.

It was blocked out by all of the light however, and it was a few minutes before the light went back up and dissipated. The rather small creature stood, stretched, and held out its hand, saying something.

I guess now is a time for a proper introduction. My name is Drew Nother. I am fourteen years old, and I am now a freshman in high school. I homeschool, however, so I am home most of the time. But I digress. Back to the story.

I approach the figure cautiously and take the extended hand. As we shake, the dim moonlight shines in on him. He stood about two feet high and was completely grey. He had large eyes and a small body by comparison. His hands were basically gloves with thumbs and his feet had no toes.

He was very peculiar, to say the least, but then he tried talking to me again. It sounded like a garbled mixture of someone throwing something in the disposal and a bunch of gibberish. Then it seemed to hit both of us. We spoke different languages.

He was surprised for a moment before taking something out of the small pack he had. He pointed it at me, and it gave a soft glow as it hummed to life. I assume the worst and cower away from the thing. He immediately put it towards the ground and tapped me on the shoulder.

I look up and he makes some motions. He first pointed toward the object in his hand, then toward me. Then he shook his head. He pointed toward his mouth and then toward my ears, and vice versa. I have a vague understanding, but I resume my past position and the object lights up again.

It scans me momentarily before he places it on a metal implant in his shoulder. It buzzes for a moment and he takes it out. Then he speaks again.

“Can you understand me now?”

I nod silently, dumbfounded. His voice sounds similar to the previous, but overall quite light and airy. Almost girlish, but there was a small hint of deepness inside it. He stands silently for a moment, waiting for some kind of response. I stand a bit straighter, and he reaches into his pack again and takes out a small object. As he hands it to me, I feel around it a little.

It seemed to be a small cube, about 5 inches square. He takes out a small light of some sort and says, “This cube is very powerful. You can choose to use it for good, or for evil.” He shifted a bit. I jerked out of my reverie and said “Umm, would you like to stay with me for a while?” He nodded.

“Actually, I'm stuck here. But I'll tell you about that when we get to your home.” He handed me the light and we walked at a slow gait back to my house, my mind swirling with questions. What did the mysterious cube do? And was it really powerful? Was this just all a dream? Questions, questions. Hopefully they would eventually be answered by this creature.

When we reach my house, I quietly open the door and we sneak inside. As my room door shuts behind me, he looks around curiously. “This is where you live?” I nodded and sit down in my swivel chair. He jumps onto my bed and tests the springiness. Amazed, he sits down quietly and murmurs,

“It has changed...” I twiddle my thumbs for a minute before he perks up again. “Well, I guess you want to know more about this cube that I've bestowed to you.” “Well, yes, but we may have to make it short. I don't want my parents waking up to see you here.” He laughed lightly. “Of course.” Sitting back farther into my bed, he began weaving his tale.

It started almost 600 years from the present. Man had created a machine that could create new sentient beings. Like them, but in any form they so chose. So they had many different creatures roaming the land, side by side with us. But as usual, they rebelled. But one new species stayed on the humans side. These creatures were the main force of the humans. They were very intelligent and were capable of traveling through time.

When the humans had almost reached victory after a hundred years of endless war, the creatures had almost been wiped out. So the humans built them a place to stay. But it was a dangerous route to the safe haven. So they sent the few remaining creatures out on their last assignment.

To save their species.

As the creatures were brought onto humanities greatest ship, the Stardock, they were surprise attacked. Nobody knew how the enemy found out where they were or when they were leaving, but they did. All of the creatures were slain, except for two. They had already been sent out on a previous mission and were not due to return for some time.

When they finally did return...

The humans,

were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment